The purpose of ongoing Community & Stakeholder Engagement and Consultation throughout the Place Branding and Place Making transformation process in a City or Destination is to obtain community input, ideas and buy-in to the vision, objectives and initiatives for the City re-branding implementation and any associated master plan. The engagement program should:
• Ensure that a broad range of members of the community are reached through the engagement program.
• Ensure that the community are well informed about the opportunities available as part of the engagement program and feel that they are both respected and included in the re-branding and transformation of the City or Destination.
• Consult with diverse stakeholders to identify opportunities, concerns and issues to improve and progress the re-branding and transformation of the City or Destination.
• Involve members of the community and stakeholders to maximise benefits for the people of the City or Destination as a result of the transformation.
Any Community & Stakeholder Engagement and Consultation Program should include a broad range of activities staggered over the anticipated time frame for the transformation, to attract participation across a range of communities within the City or Destination. The intention is to ensure that a diverse array of people (by age, occupation, gender, background, geography and interest) have an opportunity to be involved in the program.
Ongoing and consistent engagement with the local community, stakeholders and industry is central to the development and success of any Place Branding Strategy. The community and stakeholders will play a central role in helping to generate ideas, identify opportunities and challenges and continue to shape the vision and provide valuable feedback on the transformation process.
Seven key goals stand-out for any effective Community & Stakeholder Engagement Program, namely:
1. INFORM – Comprehensively inform the community and stakeholders regarding the City or Destination Place Branding & Place Making Roll Out and how they can contribute and support efforts.
2. CONSULT – Obtain feedback and comments from the community and stakeholders regarding the proposed Place Branding & Place Making Roll Out.
3. INVOLVE – Draw ideas, new initiatives and suggestions from the community and stakeholders to enhance the Place Branding & Place Making Roll Out.
4. CAPTURE – Identify effective methods for capturing and distributing feedback and ideas.
5. DISSEMINATE – Share the feedback and insights received.
6. COLLABORATE – Partner with community, special interest groups and stakeholders.
7. CONTINUE – Adopt an approach of continuous information to ensure the community and stakeholders are involved in each step of the transformation journey.